Last Week I wrote my testimony of meeting Jesus on a fateful day in November of 1995 (HERE). I have also written of the need that Christians have to better witness in a personal way to the faith, and to the relationship they have with the Lord.

The other day I read a beautiful conversion story, a witness story of a woman I have long admired, Kirsten Powers. She is a Fox News Commentator. And while I do not always agree with her political perspectives, she is a solid journalist, she gives fair consideration to all issues, and is, to my mind, a very classy lady.

She wrote recently in Christianity Today of how she met Jesus. I would like to share some excerpts of the story with you here so that, once again, you and all of us who are Catholics can see modeled how to tell our own particular story o faith, and what witness looks and sounds like.

Her full article is here: Kirsten Powers and how She Met Jesus What follows here are just a few excerpts with some comments by me in red text:

Just seven years ago, if someone had told me that I’d be writing for Christianity Today magazine about how I came to believe in God, I would have laughed out loud. If there was one thing in which I was completely secure, it was that I would never adhere to any religion—especially to evangelical Christianity, which I held in particular contempt.

And thus we learn to stay in the conversation with people. There was a time in my life that I too was hostile to the Church and hostile to Jesus. No one, no matter how settled they think they are in opposition to God or the Church is a lost cause. Speak the truth, with charity and clarity. You just never know when or how, but some, indeed, more than some, eventually find the Lord. Thank you Jesus!

I grew up in the Episcopal Church in Alaska, but my belief was superficial and flimsy….

Yes, some of us are in reaction to a poor experience with faith growing up. Perhaps it was perfunctory observance, perhaps we even experienced painful realities in the Church. But often such struggles send us afar. But in the end, the Lord does not cease to call, and He can even work the miracle of helping us to overcome tepid, bad or painful experiences.

Ms. Powers goes on to talk of how she began to date an Evangelical Christian who invited her to his Church and asked her to keep an open mind. She began attending Upper East Side Redeemer Presbyterian Church, an Evangelical Presbyterian Church. The Pastor Tim Keller impressed her with his thoughtful preaching. She says,

Tim Keller’s sermon was intellectually rigorous, weaving in art and history and philosophy. I decided to come back to hear him again. Soon, hearing Keller speak on Sunday became the highlight of my week. Each week, Keller made the case for Christianity. He also made the case against atheism and agnosticism. He expertly exposed the intellectual weaknesses of a purely secular worldview. I came to realize that even if Christianity wasn’t the real thing, neither was atheism.

So faith comes by hearing. The preaching task is critical. Pray that the Lord will send laborers, effective preachers and teachers to clarify doubts and sow the seeds of truth. Scripture says, How then will they call on him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without someone preaching?…As it is written, “How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the good news!”…So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ.(Rom 10:14-15, 17). Yes, pray for good and effective preaching and teaching!

She adds,

I concluded that the weight of evidence was on the side of Christianity. But I didn’t feel any connection to God.

But someone must have praying for Kirsten. For soon enough, she met Jesus:

Then one night in 2006, on a trip to Taiwan, I woke up in what felt like a strange cross between a dream and reality. Jesus came to me and said, “Here I am.” It felt so real. I didn’t know what to make of it.

Hallelujah! Someone was praying. Thank you Jesus.

It is interesting. Not everyone has an experience with the Lord and comes away serene. In fact most Theophanies in the Bible leave the recipient disconcerted, sometimes flat on their face to the ground! Yes, even Mother Mary was “troubled” at the visit of Gabriel (Lk 1:29), and even John the Evangelist who had been so close to the Lord in his earthly ministry, fell on his face to the ground when he saw Jesus in glory (Rev 1:17). There is authenticity in Ms. Power’s description of distress. It makes sense given her background of skepticism,  but also makes sense given the Glory of the Lord.

She sought explanation by attending a Bible study, but in the end, the Lord connected the dots for her:

Everything had changed. I’ll never forget standing outside that apartment on the Upper East Side and saying to myself, “It’s true. It’s completely true.” The world looked entirely different, like a veil had been lifted off it. I had not an iota of doubt. I was filled with indescribable joy.

But surely the World, the Flesh and Devil would not take this sitting down! She writes:

The horror of the prospect of being a devout Christian crept back in almost immediately. I spent the next few months doing my best to wrestle away from God. It was pointless. Everywhere I turned, there he was. Slowly there was less fear and more joy. The Hound of Heaven had pursued me and caught me—whether I liked it or not.

Yes, The Lord has won. And I pray that Kirsten Powers will grow strong in faith and deep in conviction that Jesus is Lord and the lover of her soul.

“But Father, but Father….!” I hear some of you saying, “She did not become Catholic! How can we praise this!?” Well, all I know is that we are all on a journey. And the Lord has surely led some of the best Catholics through the Evangelical denominations ultimately to the Catholic Church.

And I will add that their time there (in the Evangelical denominations) was not a detour or wasted. In fact some of the greatest converts to the Catholic Church bring many gifts from their time as Evangelicals: Love for Jesus, the understanding of a personal and intimate walk with the Lord, a love for Scripture, and a zeal for souls.

At a personal level I would love for Ms. Powers to one day find herself in full union with the Catholic Church. For now I am joyful she found Jesus and I trust Jesus to lead her. Rejoice with me, rejoice with her, Jesus is joy, he is Lord and Shepherd. He shepherds us rightly.

But Father, But Father, as a democrat, what does she think of abortion? As far as I know, she is against it. Consider what she has written HERE and HERE or HERE And and if you wish she were clearer here or there about this or that, stay in the conversation. Amor omnia vincet.

I rejoice that Kirsten Powers has met Jesus. I rejoice I have met him. How about you? What is your story? See her testimony as model and write your own. Your children and grandchildren, your friends and others are desperate to hear it!

Testimony is essential. There is no true evangelization without it.

1. Steve C says:

Great article, Msgr

Yes, we should all keep praying for all like Mrs Powers to join the true Church of Christ that outside of there is no salvation. It is a fight with Catholics here when one says that. Many in my area want to protect protest-ants from Catholics who want to evangelize them.

• Patience, journeys are essential. I don’t think trotting out “Nulla Salus” is usually an effective approach, by the way, and I wonder if your use of it is even accurate. It is a dogma that must we carefully understand, not merely quote. The catechism does a pretty good job of setting forth the careful balance. Sorry about the problems in your area. There is surely an urgency to evangelize that is lacking among many Catholics today, but I would lay the problem more at the feet of universalism and sloth, than a failure to assert Nulla Salus extra ecclesiam

2. Loudguitr says:

What a shame. She had it right the first time.

3. Michael Kevin McCleary says:

While in need of a good editor, I did finallly put my story of atheist to Evangelical to Catholic on my blog . . . for anyone so interested or just truly bored (O:

4. Rick says:

My story is ho-hum.
    From the time I was a small child, I knew that God is. I do not recall the first moment, nor do I recall a moment when I did not believe that there was God. This awareness has never left me, even for a moment. Not that I always think of God, which I don’t. But when I think about God, I have always known that He is. There have been no earthquakes, no St Paul moments, no divine invasions, no miracles– just a basic intuition. Simple, direct, indemonstrable.

• Ellen says:

There’s been no St. Paul moment for me either. I have always known there is a God, and as today’s reading from Wisdom says: For if they so far succeeded in knowledge
      that they could speculate about the world,
      how did they not more quickly find its Lord?

I’ve not met God in an earthquake, but I have in a still small whisper of wind. I’ve felt His presence at Adoration and I know He is real.

• I Like The Church Fathers says:

I wonder if those of us who have not had that “St. Paul moment” (and I suspect it’s most of us) can be effective evangelizers. Since Monsignor Pope and Ralph Martin and others seem to feel that having that dramatic St. Paul moment of radical conversion is essential, I would guess that the answer is no, we can’t.

• All or nothing thinking, is a cognitive distortion that should be avoided. Therefore it is possible for someone to teach on the value of testifying of how one has met or come to know Jesus Christ without presuming that the author means it in such a way that everyone must have had the exact same experience.

Hence, some cradle Catholics or Christians in general who sense they have always known Christ may not remember a specific incident, but are still able to testify, how they have come to know the teachings of Christ or how his presence has become deeper and more real as the years have gone by.

For example, I have often testified, how I have come to know the truth of Jesus’ teaching because, in the laboratory of my own life I have tested them found them to be true, And that I am seeing my life changed due to the grace of the sacraments, prayer, scripture, and walking in fellowship with the Church.

And thus, as a Catholic, I think it is reasonable for me to ask you to ponder the same things in your life. What has prayer done for you? What has the reception of the sacraments accomplished in your life? Do you read scripture? Has it changed your mind, has it helped you to think and act differently? How? Have you met Jesus? Or, how do you experience his ongoing presence in your life? How has God blessed you? In other words, what is your testimony?

I am not sure why you seem to be vexed by questions of this nature, or by other people’s testimony. Why would you conclude that you can’t be an effective evangelizer just because you haven’t had an experience like somebody else? I do try to teach, in posts like these, that having a personal testimony is important today, for credibility. It is not enough simply to say what other people have said or experienced. At some point people like our children and grandchildren and close friends want to know that the faith is also making a difference in our lives.

Why not be grateful for testimonials like Ms. Powers’, and then add your own? which may be different altogether, but still something wonderful to rejoice in? Why such a negative tone, in a positive post.

As I say, I suspect it comes from all or nothing thinking. But of course I cannot be sure. Anyway, be a good cheer, rejoice that someone is with Christ. Rejoice too when someone comes to acknowledge and know at a deep level, the Lord’s teachings are true and altogether sure.

• I Like The Church Fathers says:

Thanks for your detailed reply Monsignor.

I should mention that I am not at all ungrateful for Ms. Powers’ testimonial. I do rejoice that she has found Christ. I have to admit however that I am a little disappointed that I have never had an experience like hers. You’re quite right to say that I am vexed by questions of this kind! It’s just my nature or temperament. I will pray for more guidance.

Thanks again Monsignor.

• Heather Marsten says:

Rick, never think your story is ho-hum. God will use your testimony to help someone. Each person’s testimony matters to another who needs to learn about God. My testimony is what you would term ho-hum, but I am so encouraged by those who knew God early on in life and walked with Him all their life. It is an inspiration and a blessing. I didn’t really begin my relationship with God until I was 48, and I spent years hating God, blaming Him for abuse I received as a child and turning my back on him in various ways, including the occult. God used those things to keep me alive (I was suicidal) until the right person came into my life to begin teaching me about the Father’s love. It took years of patient counseling before I decided that I needed and wanted God in my life. When I finally realized God was not like my abusive father, I apologized to God. In my spirit, He said to me, “That’s okay Heather, at least you were talking to me.” God was so patient until I could heal enough to come to Him, then He healed me and turned what satan meant for harm into something good. I’m working on writing my memoir, hoping that it will help others. I gave a copy of some of my story to my priest and last Sunday he told me someone had called him speaking of early childhood sexual abuse and he was able to use some of the details I shared in my story to help her. That made my day. We really do defeat the enemy by our testimonies and God uses each and every one in ways that help others.

• Rob says:

A little note of encouragement, but remember the story is not about what we’ve been through but what Christ accomplished on our behalf. Hope i dont sound preachy but your story of being saved by grace is no less significant than the next person.

5. kinana says:

Thank you for this story. I think of a quote from Les Miserables when I hesitate to do something or say something: ‘Are you afraid of the good you might do?’

6. Donna L. says:

So glad to know K.P. is a believer, and I really enjoyed her testimony. My testimony is very similar, in the sense that there was blindness and then suddenly I could see! I remember spending a few weeks in fear after I discovered that God was not just an intellectual idea, but LORD of ALL. I was even afraid to pray to Him, because I realized what a sinner I was. Others tell me that this was the devil’s doing, but I think it’s because I had encountered The Holy One. I too felt like I was going crazy, and everyone could see that something had changed in me.

I also like to tell people that I wasn’t particularly religious before this moment. I did believe in God, but wasn’t going to church. I believe He existed, but I didn’t think He cared about me… just other people. How wrong!!

Monsignor, I appreciate your words concerning the fact that Powers is an Evangelical Christian and not a Catholic. I worry so much about friends and family who are Christians, but not within the Catholic Church. But as you remind us, we are all on a journey. I, too, was an Evangelical for 15 years… a huge part of my journey!

• Donna L. says:

I should add that although I had stopped going to church, I had picked up the Bible for the first time – August 1993. I read it sporadically at first, but then there came a time when I would read it as if my life depended on it. Jesus’s Words worked on my mind and my heart, and the following August, I underwent a major conversion.

I add this because of others’ concern about their own experience and the lack of a “St. Paul moment”. I don’t think we need one. What we do need, however, is a change in our thinking and living. We need to change from people who insist “my will be done” to people who insist that “God’s Will be done in me”. I believe strongly that reading the Scriptures is transformative – especially when read daily. We need to meditate on Jesus’ words as much as possible. It’s a sad thing that most Catholics do not read the Bible regularly, since they are missing out on something that would bring them closer to God.

7. Manny says:

I am glad too she found Christ. Evangelical Protestantism simplifies Christianity, overly so, but that’s what makes it appealing. May she explore her faith further and one day find its fullness in either the roman catholic Church or the Eastern Orthodox. She is a good soul.

8. Don says:

I admire people who have an experience of Jesus like Miss Powers and I envy them. I love Jesus but I want an experience like hers or like Msgr. I desire a deep, personal relationship with the Lord. My actions do not always reflect such a relationship. I frankly cannot say I’ve had a defining moment as far as Jesus jolting me off my horse like He did St. Paul. I would really like to witness to Jesus and be an instrument that brings others to love the Lord. Either I’m blind to what the Lord has done in my life or just plain stupid. Forgive my musings but Msgr. has brought up a very interesting topic in his recent discussions about falling in love with Jesus and telling others about it. I guess the best witness is how you live your life.

9. Shan Gill says:

Being a revert, I find EWTN’s the conversational ‘The Journey Home’, with Marcus Grodi, a great source of info on converts and other reverts. Have found several more sites over the years, tho sadly none at hand, with great conversion stories. Am profoundly humbled by the vast store of scripture many converts bring with them. Even though I was catechised deeply in Church doctrine and the Bible when I was a kid in Catholic gradeschool, little of the scripture stuck in terms of who said what and when. It can be intimidating to engage in a debate with someone who, with no visible bookmarks, can flip INSTANTLY(!!!) to any passage he wants to reference. But, then, we have the Authority thru the Sacraments, don’t we?! However, that trump card carries little weight with most evangelicals, it does carry a bit of weight with Lutherans and some other denominationals.

10. markrite says:

It seems to me that the proof is or will be “in the pudding.” For Kirsten Powers on Fox has loudly proclaimed what a fervent Democrat Party member she is for a long time. Now it would seem, to be fair, that she’s moderated that position for maybe 2 years now. She’s backed off her sometimes fanatical defense of Obama more and more, that I’ve noticed. But why is she STILL a Democrat party member? For I have to agree w/David Horowitz who’s recently said that the Democratic Party is in reality now the Communist party; every literate person knows that the Democratic Party plank carries in it the UNEQUIVOCAL defense of legalized slaughter, abortion on demand, as does the American Communist Party. And that’s officially. And since 2012, the same Democratic plank now calls unequivocally for “same sex marriage.” (as does the American Communist Party) Once again, WHY is Kirsten Powers still a member of said Democratic Party, knowing all this?

• OK, Y’all lets not do politics here. I am only publishing this comment to illustrate what I do not want to post. This is not a political blog or blog post. The remarks I have penned are very focused on her finding Christ. All of us of faith are on a journey, and if when and how this affects our membership in any number of things is part of that journey. But I just don’t want to take this conversation to the question of party membership/platforms where there is more heat than light.

Markrite, as a lay person (which I assume you are) you have every right to engage in politics and work in the political order. But I am a priest, and this is the Blog of the Archdiocese. So I don’t engage topics like party membership here. We DO tackel issues, but not based on what party holds what, but based on what the Church teaches. I hope you understand.

Rejoice for Kirsten in this, let us all pray for one another.

• DWiss says:

Monsignor, I have a question that is important to me, and to many others, I think, if I am reading some of these comments correctly.

Those of us who have not had one of these “St. Paul moments”, these very real communions with Jesus, what are we to think of this? In my parish I have heard many remarkable stories of very personal encounters with Jesus, but I have never had the experience? Does Jesus think that I do not need it, or does my faith need to deepen, or is His favoe falling elsewhere?

If receiveing these personal encounters is discincertine, I can assure you that not receiving them is perhaps more so.

• Robertlifelonfcatholic says:

DWiss, most all of these encounters involve a deep personal conflict between our core beliefs confronting events and relationships in our lives. We either plead God’s intervention or He reveals Himself according to His will. Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not yet experienced. Water your mustard seed daily and observe it’s growth. Cultivate your faith and leave the harvest up to God.

11. Sally says:

Kirsten’s story of being hunted by the Hounds of Heaven reminds me of C.S. Lewis’s conversion story, and how he described himself as the most unhappy convert in all of England. The two of them have a lot of beautiful and happy parallels. ^_^

12. Luce says:

I had a similar experience as Kristin. Some ideas of mine were not transformed right away although many were, and dramatically. I was in awe of what had happened and in love with Jesus. I did not know how I was going to address my long standing pro choice stance but I knew I would not turn away from this love for anything. I just let that issue alone and focused on the Bible and getting to know this God who loved me. A year later while reading Genesis (because it is such great drama) I came across Gen 9:5 “For your own lifeblood I will surely require a reckoning: from every animal I will require it and from human beings, each one for the blood of another, I will require a reckoning for human life”. I was flooded with the reality of the human life taken abortion. I believe any one who continues to honestly and openly seek God, and desires to know His Truth, He will reveal it.
    He also lead me to the Catholic church after 15 years as a protestant. That was as much as a miracle as my conversion to Christianity!

13. Candida Bohnne-Eittreim says:

My testimony began as a 7 year old child. In my dreams I saw Christ struggling with His cross. This dream was so vivid, i could smell dust, hear jeers and catcalls, and underneath the sobs of many others. I tried to wiggle through to go help Him. He tore my childs heart in two. I got close enough to see Him clearly, there was a lady in front of me with a cloth in her right hand. He turned His head and looked straight at me and i cried at His pain and woke the house up with my screams. The dreams kept up for a long time. At the Cross, sitting next to Mary, weeping her heart out-we all were.

When i was 15, my mother hurt me badly. I was weeping in the dark, so hard i was hiccuping and i felt arms pick me up and hold me. He said I am your Father and i love you. I will be with you all your days, there is covenant between you and i. I instantly stopped crying, the pain left and i fell asleep in His arms.

14. Candida Bohnne-Eittreim says:

He has always been there for me. In 2006 my husband died, my in laws died and not 6 months later my mother died. I lost my home, possessions and family all at once. Through the evangelical churches in my area, i found true repentance and now know joy and peace. God is all i see, all i need and all i’ll ever want.

15. RichardGTC says:

When I was a senior in college, I wasn’t as happy as I wanted to be or as I thought I was supposed to be, so I started praying one Our Father a day. Later, after college, I realized that I wanted to say something, in a letter, to my father. I prayed over that and the words that finally came to me were, “Thank you for everything you have done for me.” In the early 1990′s, I made a general confession to a Carmelite priest. Since then, I think the words of G. K. Chesterton would best characterize my spiritual journey: “Anything worth doing is worth doing poorly.”

• Peter Wolczuk says:

“Anything worth doing is worth doing poorly.”
      It’s ok for a very young child, often called a “toddler”, to toddle when they first attempt to walk. I would be very surprised if I was to hear that, even a world class ballet dancer or gymnast didn’t toddle in their first steps.
      Rationalizing about, “misfiring synapses” “invasion” “going crazy” sounds a lot like a fear of God. Maybe an excellent start.

16. Claire L. says:

It always interests me to read about other people’s way to the Lord. He’re my story about experiencing the mystery of God. I grew up in the 50′s and I remember believing in God at the age of five or six.
    At this age I liked going to mass. The beauty of the liturgy attracted me very much. Our church was small but had a gothic style that pleased me and I liked the candles and the incence and the bells and the reverant way that the mass was said and also the silence. I felt that this celebration had mystery . I liked it so much that at home I used to play at pretending that I was a nun preparing the altar and I would get on my knees and pray, I felt that God was listening to me. Later, in my teens while I was meditating silently, I experienced God’s presence very clearly. I felt that He was listening to my silence and I was listening to His’, I didn’t dare make a sound and tried to keep my breathing quiet. It felt so real and warm and loving. After this, when I was about 18, I grew farther away from God and came to the point of doughting His existence . It took me many years to regain my faith. A turning point was when I had my children while in my 30′s. I reexamined my relation with God and wanted to share it with my children. But His presence wasn’t felt at all times. And I regret today that I at that time my faith wasn’t firm enough to give a good teaching to my children about the Lord. Later, in my 40′s, while listening to sacred music on Good Friday, I felt God’s presence again. I had the vision of Jesus on the cross and looking strait at me. I then understood that when He died on the cross, it was possible for Him to see and think about everyone of us personnally, myself included. I always thought that he died for everyone else exept me. I suppose now that it was because I didn’t want to accept a gift so great because it would make me feel too responsible and there was no way I could ever thank Him enough. In other words I was being greedy. Today, Christ occupies the center of my life and I want Him to remain there until I die.

17. Robbie J says:

I have friends, who are former atheists/Buddhists etc. who have converted to Christianity. While I would love for them to come into the Catholic church, nevertheless I am so grateful that they have found Jesus. After all, who else is there? Perhaps in time they will come “home to Rome”.

18. willhelm said says:

My adult conversion began when I asked the Lord to reveal Himself to me. And He did. My personal relationship with Him has been growing ever since. “Ask and you shall receive, seek and you shall find.”

19. Robert says:

Monsignor, When do you find the time to be a priest instead of constantly writing columns?

• Peter Wolczuk says:

I find myself wondering if there’s the information behind choosing to say “instead of” rather than something like “as well as”
      Unless there’s an overly hasty choice in expression (which I admit having done on these very posts from time to time) or a something that I’m missing when I perceive this an; either one or the other but not both; kind of statement.
      There are some who post here am willing to point out that one doesn’t know for sure when not backing statements with facts.
      On the main article, Kirsten mentions, ” I tried to write off the experience as misfiring synapses, but I couldn’t shake it. When I returned to New York a few days later, I was lost. I suddenly felt God everywhere and it was terrifying. More important, it was unwelcome. It felt like an invasion. I started to fear I was going crazy….I was desperate. My whole world was imploding. How was I going to tell my family or friends about what had happened? Nobody would understand. I didn’t understand.”
      Could this be the Holy Fear of God which is often mentioned and extolled? It would seem that she experienced a vision of sorts, and in 2 Chronicles 26:5 my NIV copy has a footnote that compares fear to visions, as a sort of alternate.
      I had a strong fear of visions, for a while a little over two years ago. Like her I worried about psychosis, so I consulted with friends who pointed out that phsychotics don’t tend to see themselves as psychotic btu – having looked into that – I found that it’s believed there are sometimes those who do. Searching further I read that deluded hallucinations always come at a much greater frequency than I was experiencing.
      This helped me into acceptance and prepared me for the, somewhat beneficially uncomfortable, experience that contributed to my contribution at; http://blog.adw.org/2012/08/what-will-be-some-new-targets-of-the-radical-secularists/ That is, one on 11 August 2012.
      Seems like self has put two posts as one but, it is less often of me here.

20. John says:

As an ex-marine, Vietnam Vet, strung out on drugs and alcohol, newly divorced, out of a job, in and out of the mental ward at the local hospital after numerous shock-therapy treatments, all alone in an empty house the bank was foreclosing my loan on, it was Jesus who found me, just as it was for Kirsten during her trip to Taiwan, and not as is often said, “so and so found Jesus.” Some evangelical/Pentecostals were in the neighborhood knocking on doors and talking to people about the “Four Spiritual Laws”, a popular evangelical tract. Earlier in the day I had taken some obscure capsule containing who knows what, that a druggie friend had put into my hand the day before. I had an extremely adverse reaction to it. I was sure I was ODing and cried out as a long time confirmed agnostic to God for another chance at life. I was so very ripe for the message of the Gospel. Jesus came to my house that day and literally turned my life around 180 degrees!

Well that was in 1974 and much transpired before meeting my Catholic wife in 1982, marriage in 1985, and and finally conversion to the One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church in 2006. While much has been made of my journey I am always much more amazed at the faith journey of my wife, who as a cradle Catholic never once doubted the faith passed on to her by her parents through baptism, confirmation, first reconcilliation, and first communion. Semper fidelis has been her modus operandi since a very young girl who embraced Jesus, His Church, and all her (Holy Mother Church) teachings right through her teen years, young adult years to this very day. To me that is the greatest testament to the redeeming love of God in Jesus Christ!