Have you been feeling a little rushed lately? Well, you might be surprised to find out how fast you’re actually moving, even when you think you’re “standing still.”
- Earth, at the latitude of Washington, D.C., is spinning at a rate of about 750 miles per hour .
- At the same time, the spinning Earth is rotating around the Sun at approximately 67,000 miles per hour .
- And the Sun around which we move so rapidly is itself rotating around the center of the Milky Way Galaxy at about 483,000 miles per hour .
- Finally, the entire Milky Way Galaxy is spinning and moving outward at about 1,339,200 miles per hour .
It’s dizzying to consider our speed and motion: a spinning planet, rotating around a sun, which is rotating around the center of a galaxy, which is careening through space. So, if you think you’re standing still, think again; we are actually hurtling through space at mind-boggling speed.
Yes, you’re on the move. You’re moving so fast that you met yourself coming back! Don’t let anyone tell you you’re loafing.
Here are some biblical “speed texts.” Hurry up and read them!
- Look! The Lord advances like the clouds, his chariots come like a whirlwind, his horses are swifter than eagles (Jer 4:13).
- I will hasten and not delay to obey your commands, O Lord (Psalm 119:60).
- Hurry! Go quickly! Don’t stop! (1 Sam 20:38)
- God has told me to hurry (2 Chron 35:21).
Cross-posted at the Catholic Standard: If You Think You’re in the Fast Lane, You’re Right!